City University in Canada has offered post-secondary academic programs in Canada since 1984. Our Canadian-made programs have focused on preparing working adults to meet the complex and diverse challenges faced within the areas of education, human services and management. This preparation is facilitated through our current degree offerings, which include a Master of Education (with specializations in School Counselling or Leadership), a Master of Counseling, and a Bachelor of Arts in Management.
Fully Canadian based, each of our programs has been designed by Canadian faculty to meet the needs of the local communities we serve. At CityU, our core faculty are practitioner-scholars who bring the lived experience of professional practice supported by the latest thinking and research into the classroom. Our small class sizes and experienced faculty provide a unique student learning environment with real case studies and hands-on practical experiences which ensure that our graduates are ready to succeed in their chosen career paths. Supervised internships further the application of theory to professional practice in both the Master of Counselling and Master of Education programs.
Our students study in online synchronous cohorts, supported by experienced advisors and senior faculty, to build a strong sense of community, an environment of mutual support, and to create networking opportunities. Designed for working adults, our programs are offered in a variety of formats and locations to allow students to plan their studies around work, family and life.
Offering degrees in Western Canada and beyond, CityU has approximately 1000 students, 75 faculty and staff and more than 2,000 alumni in Canada.
Component of the CityU Academic Model
- A focus on student learning: CityU learning experiences are designed to support clearly articulated outcomes at the course, program, and institutional levels. Educational experiences are carefully designed by faculty to encourage self-directed learning within an appropriately defined structure of expectations. With the focus on applying theory to practical experience, learning activities form explicit links among the crucial abilities of an educated professional: critical thinking, self-exploration, and ethical practice. Multiple paths to demonstrating competency are available to students when appropriate. Students are actively encouraged to define and take responsibility for their own contributions to the learning process, with the understanding that their engagement is critical for substantive learning to take place.
- Reflective Practitioner Faculty: CityU faculty are highly regarded practitioners who bring real-life experience to the learning environment. We consider students to be collaborative partners in the creation of learning opportunities. To support practitioner faculty in their teaching roles, the institution provides orientation, training, mentoring, and coaching, all designed to foster a respectful and empowering learning environment. Faculty are rewarded for quality teaching, and encouraged to continue their development as facilitators of learning.
- Relevance to the Workplace: A CityU education is founded on carefully selected goals that are intended to provide our graduates with up-to-date knowledge and practical skills required in the workplace, as well as a framework for continued development. Institution-wide learning goals that emphasize personal and professional growth are embedded in all programs offered at the University. Our current goals include professional competence and technical expertise, communication and interpersonal skills, critical thinking, ethical practice and community involvement, the development of a diverse and global perspective, and lifelong learning. The overarching goals of a CityU education enhance the professional skills and knowledge of individuals, who in turn add value to their organizations.
- Service to Students: CityU strives to provide a respectful atmosphere in which all students are valued for their contribution, and individual needs are honored. A diverse and international student body requires a variety of services to support the learning endeavor. We strive to be sensitive to your needs, to respond in a timely and professional manner to your questions or concerns, and to uphold high standards.
- Accessibility and Responsiveness: CityU is committed to making high-quality learning opportunities as accessible and responsive to the needs of our diverse student population as possible. This includes maintaining affordability, removing unnecessary barriers to entry, providing support for students with differing levels of educational background and preparation, and offering a variety of class schedules and modes of delivery.
CityU is a teaching University. It focuses on bringing a high-quality, relevant life-long education to those who have a desire to learn, in multiple delivery modes and locations around the world. It does so by having common curricula developed by groups of experts led by the program directors and program coordinators, referred to collectively as CityU’s Administrative Faculty.