I have worked as a counsellor, clinical supervisor, mental health coordinator and trainer in corrections and community-based counselling agencies, addictions services, and mental health for over 20 years. I have been teaching at CityU in topics including counselling theories, assessment, and addiction. In addition to teaching at CityU, I have lectured at SFU, Douglas College, Kwantlen, UBC, UFV, Okanagan College, and JIBC in criminology and psychology courses.
My clinical and research interests include trauma, PTSD, violence and substance use and their impact on mental health and treatment compliance. I have published over 40 journal articles and book chapter and have given over 100 presentations both nationally and internationally on these subjects.
- Spidel, A., Daigneault, I., Kealy, D., & Lecomte, T. (2019). Acceptance and commitment therapy for psychosis and trauma: Investigating links between trauma severity, attachment and outcome. Behavioural and cognitive psychotherapy, 47(2), 230-243.
- Kealy, D., Rice, S. M., Ogrodniczuk, J. S., & Spidel, A. (2018). Childhood trauma and somatic symptoms among psychiatric outpatients: Investigating the role of shame and guilt. Psychiatry Research, 268, 169-174.
- Spidel, A., Lecomte, T., Kealy, D., & Daigneault, I. (2018). Acceptance and commitment therapy for psychosis and trauma: Improvement in psychiatric symptoms, emotion regulation, and treatment compliance following a brief group intervention. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 91(2), 248-261.
- Kealy, D., Spidel, A., & Ogrodniczuk, J. S. (2017). Self‐conscious emotions and suicidal ideation among women with and without history of childhood sexual abuse. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 17(4), 269-275.
- Lecomte, T., & Spidel, A. (2016). Is Mindfulness Useful or Dangerous for Individuals with Psychosis? “Mindfulness” issue of Visions Journal, 2016, 12 (2), p. 10.
- Spidel, A., Greaves, C., Yuille, J., & Lecomte, T. (2015). A comparison of treatment adherence in individuals with a first episode of psychosis and inpatients with psychosis. International journal of law and psychiatry, 39, 90-98.
- Spidel, A., Greaves, C., Nicholls, T. L., Goldenson, J., & Dutton, D. G., (2013). Personality Disorders, Types of Violence, and Stress Responses in Female Who Perpetrate Intimate Partner Violence. Psychology, 4, 5.
Recent Invited Presentations
- Spidel, A. (April, 2019). Working with Complex clients using Dialetical Behaviour Therapy. Presented at DCTV.
- Spidel, A. (July 2018). Understanding and Working with Trauma. Presented at University of British Columbia.
- Spidel, A. (March 2018). Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and working with clients. Presented at DCTV.
- Spidel, A. (May 2018). Understanding and working with Borderline Personality Disorder. Presented at DCTV.
- Spidel, A. (May 2017). How to use Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with trauma. Presented at the Working With Trauma in Psychotherapy event at UBC.
- Spidel, A. (October 2015) Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Trauma. Presented to the Counsellor Café for Registered Clinical Counsellors.
- Spidel, A. (March 2014) Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Trauma and Psychosis. Presented to New Westminster Mental Health.
Recent Refereed Conference Proceedings – Papers
- Spidel, A., & Lecomte, T., Daigneault, I., & Kealy, D. (July 2019). The Influence of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) on the Severity of PTSD Symptoms in Help-Seeking. Paper presented at the International association of law and mental health conference in Rome.
- Spidel, A., & Lecomte, T., Daigneault, I., & Kealy, D. (June 2019). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for psychosis and trauma: Investigating links between trauma severity, attachment, and outcome. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the Canadian Psychology Association. Halifax, Canada.