Associate Faculty, M.Ed. In Leadership Program
Brad Hutchinson has been a pioneering educator for 35 years, primarily in the Abbotsford School District. Just retired, Brad has been a District Principal for past 14 years after teaching Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics at W.J. Mouat Secondary in Abbotsford B.C. His district role involved creating and nurturing online and blended learning projects around the district as well as shepherding the Abbotsford Virtual School, a distributed learning school at the forefront of innovative distance learning approaches in the province.
Brad holds a Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction (1998) from University of British Columbia. Always interested in the use of technology to support learning, Brad began programming in BASIC in 1980 in an effort to create Chemistry resources while still in high school. He started creating web pages in 1993 to support his Chemistry classes and followed that up by joining the Technology Enhanced Secondary Science Instruction (TESSI) project at UBC in 1996. In this project, Brad’s role was to in the development of a technology-infused Chemistry classroom with web-based testing, simulations, probe-ware, CD-ROM technology essentially what we would now refer to as a blended learning model. In 1999, he went on to create online courses in Chemistry 11 and Science 10 and established the W.J. Mouat Virtual School and took on a leadership role. Six years later, Brad helped to amalgamate the district’s home-based learning and virtual learning program in launching the Abbotsford Virtual School. Brad has been active at the school district level and provincially as a leader supporting technology advancements in education. Brad embraces Senek’s servant leadership and adheres to Covey’s 7 Habits.
- 1998 Masters of Arts (Curriculum and Instruction) – University of British Columbia
- 1985 Professional Teacher Certification – University of British Columbia
- 1984 Bachelor of Science (Chemistry) – University of British Columbia
- Work Experience
- 2006-2020 District Principal, Abbotsford Virtual School – Abbotsford School District
- 1987-2006 Science Teacher, W.J. Mouat Secondary School – Abbotsford School District
- 1992-1994 Lab Instructor, University of the Fraser Valley
- 1985-1987 Science Teacher, Barrhead Secondary School – Barrhead, Alberta.
Courses taught at City University
- Technology Tools and Information Literacy (ECC 510)
- Technologies for Learning (EEA 534)
- School Finance and Operations (EEA 536)
- Instructional Leadership Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (EEA532)