Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, M.Ed. Programs
I am a program coordinator for the MEd Leadership program, working with Jill Taggart and Arden Henley, Principal of Canadian Programs. My background is in arts education, philosophy of education, and working with international students. I have a Ph.D. in education from Simon Fraser University and most of my academic work focuses on educational relationships and how we learn in and through relationships; more specifically, I am interested in and excited about how knowledge is created and developed in dialogical relationships, in how the presence of the teacher impacts learning, in how we learn through multiple forms of intelligence, and in how learning can be meaningful for students. My research interests include leadership as a matter of being, as well as dialogical and contemplative approaches in education. My work is informed by scholars such as Martin Buber, Paulo Freire, bell hooks, Heesoon Bai, Andy Hargreaves, Robert Greenleaf, Thomas Sergiovanni, and Otto Scharmer.
Courses taught at CityUniversity
- Preparation for Professional Growth (ECC 509)
- Technology Tools and Information Literacy (ECC 510)
- Leadership and Counselling Diverse Cultures in Education (ECC 515)
- Instructional Leadership: Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment (EEA 532)
- Technologies for Learning (EEA 534)
- Supervision of Instruction (EEA 539)
2012-present: Adjunct Professor & Limited Term Lecturer, Simon Fraser University
2007-present: Academic Literacy Advisor, Simon Fraser University
2014-present: Site Sponsor (Contemplative Inquiry and Approaches), Simon Fraser University
2006-2011: Copy Editor, Paideusis: International Journal in Philosophy of Education
- President’s Research Stipend, SFU, Spring 2008
- Graduate Fellowship, Faculty of Education, SFU, 2007
- University Scholarship Fund, UBC (twice: 1978, 1982)
- Agnes Merle Turnbull Scholarship, UBC, 1979
- Roy Daniells Memorial Prize, UBC 1981
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Bai, H., Eppert, C., Scott, C., Tait, S., & Nyugen, T. (in press). Towards an intercultural philosophy of education. In M. Peters & G. Biesta (Eds.), The transformation of philosophy of education: Alternative futures and future alternatives. Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers.
- Bai, H., Cohen, A., & Scott, C. (2013). Re-visioning higher education: The three-fold relationality framework. In J. Lin. (Ed.), Embodied pathways to wisdom and social transformation (pp. 3–22). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Scott, C. (forthcoming, 2014). Dialogue as an intersubjective contemplative praxis. In O. Gunnlaugson, H. Bai, E. Sarath, and C. Scott (Eds.), Contemplative approaches to learning and inquiry. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Bai, H., Cohen, A., Culham, T., Park, S., Rabi, S., Scott, C., Tait, S. (forthcoming, 2014). A call for wisdom in higher education: Contemplative voices from the Dao-field. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Bai, H. and Scott, C. (2012). The primacy of consciousness in philosophy of education: Implications for philosophy of education. Korean Journal of Philosophy of Education, 33(4), 129–145.
- Scott, C. (2011). Becoming dialogue; Martin Buber’s concept of turning to the other as educational praxis. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C.
- Scott, C. (2010). Ecological identity through dialogue. Canadian Journal of Environmental Education, 15, 135–149.
- Scott, C. (2010). Epistemological multilingualism: A tool for conviviality. Paideusis—International Journal in Philosophy of Education, 18(2), 43–54.
- Scott, C. (2010). Entries for “Dialogue” and “Martin Buber.” In J. Collins & N. O’Brien (Eds.), The Greenwood dictionary of education (2nd ed.). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO and Greenwood Press.
- Bai, H., Scott, C. & Donald, B. (2009). Contemplative pedagogy and revitalization of teacher education. Alberta Journal of Educational Research, 55(3), 319–334.
- Scott, C. (2009). Hanging out as one of the high arts of dialogue. SFU Educational Review, 1, 2–21.
- Scott, C. (2006). The blowback on Heesoon Bai. Paideusis, 16(1), 81–83.
Papers Presented at Conferences
- Schmidt, M. & Scott, C. (2012, May). Transcultural theory, the Chinese student, and Western higher education. Paper presented at CSSE 2012, Waterloo, Ontario.
- Guo, G. & Scott, C. (2012, May). Differences in collaboration in East and West: Exploratory qualitative research on possible differences. Paper presented at the SFU Faculty of Education conference, Learning Together: Collaboration as a Path to Transformation. Vancouver, B.C.
- Bai, H., Cohen, A., Park, S., & Scott, C. (2012, May). An integrated approach to contemplative practice: Mindful and dialogical explorations of collaborative inquiry. Panel presentation at SFU Faculty of Education conference, Learning Together: Collaboration as a Path to Transformation. Vancouver, B.C.
- Scott, C. (2012, April). Becoming dialogue: A Buberian educational project beyond knowing and the capacities that make it possible. Paper presented at the annual AERA conference, Vancouver.
- Bai, H. Cohen, A., Park, S. Culham, T. & Scott, C. (2012, April). An integrated approach to contemplative practice: The mindful and dialogical explorations of a “collaboratory.” Paper presented at the annual AERA conference, Vancouver.
- Bai, H., Cohen, A., Park, S., Rabi, S., Scott, C., & Tait, S. (2011, July). Moving through the Dao-field of life, aware, balanced, aligned, and connected. Plenary session at regional conference of the Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education, Whidbey Island, Washington.
- Bai, H., Cohen, A. & Scott, C. (2010, June). Connected Understanding for Social-ecological Activism: Contributions from Asian Philosophies to Education. Paper presented at the annual CSSE conference, Montreal.
- Scott, C. (2010, May). Literacies of the (situated) self, others, and surrounding ecologies: Towards an ecological model of literacy. Published, peer-reviewed proceedings of the University of Victoria Conference on Literacy–Language & Literacy 2.1: Transforming Literacy Conceptions.
- Scott, C. (2009, December). Being dialogue. Turning toward as an educational praxis. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Philosophical Education Society of Australasia, Honolulu.
- Bai, H., Hotton, V., & Scott, C. (2009, December). Toward healing and integrative dialogue with self, others, and environment: Can we dialogue with nature? Panel presentation at the annual conference of the Philosophical Education Society of Australasia, Honolulu.
- Bai, H., Scott, C., Culham, T. (2009, October). Contemplative inquiry and pedagogy: Variations on theory and practice. Joint presentation at the 7th International Conference on Holistic Learning: Breaking New Ground, Orillia, Ontario.
- Scott, C. (2009, June). Working with EAL students and an ecological model of literacy. Paper presented at the 2009 B. C. Provincial Conference on International Languages and Education, SFU, Vancouver.
- Scott, C. (2009, May). Ecological identity in and through dialogue. Paper presented at the 5th World Environmental Education Congress, Montreal.
- Scott, C. & Kovacs, P. (2008, October). Epistemological multilingualism: A tool for conviviality. Paper presented at the annual Education With/out Borders (EWOB) conference, Port Moody, B.C.
- Marshall, S., MacLean, J., Shaw, C., Heilgenberg, K., Scott, C. (2008, May). Conceptualizing literacy in self, voice, and writing in a university academic writing program. Joint presentation regarding the SFU Foundations of Academic Literacy Program given at the Language and Literacy Researchers of Canada (LLRC) SIG at the CSSE conference, Vancouver.
- Alonso, G., MacQuarrie, J., Scott, C. Thumbert, K. & Young, M. La Revolución: Social Transformation Through Local Praxis in a Doctoral Program. (2008, May). Joint paper presentation at the annual CSSE conference, Vancouver.
- Scott, C. & Kovacs, P. Yours Virtually . . . Philosophy Goes Online: Loving and Living It. (2008, May). Joint presentation about an online version of EDUC 230 at the annual CSSE conference, Vancouver.
- Alonso, G., MacQuarrie, J., Scott, C. Thumbert, K. & Young, M. La Revolución: Social Transformation Through Local Praxis in a Doctoral Program. (2007, May). Presentation at the Education With/Out Borders conference, Port Moody, B.C.
- Bai, H., Provençal, J., Banack, H., Caulkins, M. & Scott, C. Mapping the Boundaries of Philosophical Methodology: Towards Multiplicity, Deep Democracy and Being Present. Joint presentation, Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE) Conference, Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Toronto, May 28, 2006.
- Scott, C. Turning Toward the Other through Dialogue: Thomas Merton’s Response to Fear. Paper given at Climate of Fear/Commitment to Peace conference sponsored by the Thomas Merton Society of Canada, Vancouver, March 4, 2006.