Currently, Intern Supervisor and Instructor in Group Counselling Therapy and The Psychology of Sexuality and Human Development (since January 2019).
Judith has been a Registered Clinical Counsellor for 12 years and is an EMDR certified Trauma Therapist. Her professional background includes:
- Working as a Trauma Therapist, in both men’s and women’s Trauma Centres, doing individual and group therapy and supervising interns;
- Development of a group therapy manual, You are Not Alone: Trauma and Stabilization, which has proven to be effective in reducing PTSD symptoms;
- Providing counselling and Wellness workshops for Homewood Health;
- Managing two counselling programs (with Burnaby Family Life and a Women’s Sexual Assault Centre); and
- Working as an Addiction Counsellor within a prison and co-facilitating Relationship Violence Prevention groups for mandated clients.
Prior to becoming a counsellor, Judith worked at the University of British Columbia as the Wellness Centre Coordinator for 10 years and taught Health Education for 15 years.
- Not currently engaged in a research project as I have a private counselling practice in Trauma and Sex Therapy in the South Surrey area.
- You Are Not Alone: Trauma Stabilization Group for Men (a therapy manual)
My approach to teaching and supervising is nurturing and developmental. I see the teaching role as that of a facilitator and guide and consider learning to be a collaborative process. This involves students engaging with the knowledge they are acquiring through their lived experience and unique insights.