Associate Director of MEd in School Counselling (Victoria)
As an Associate Program Director of the MEd in School Counselling Program, my role is focused on contributing to a quality student experience and success of program implementation. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor specializing in the psychological functioning of children and youth. I have worked in private practice and I have held counselling/mental health roles in the schools. I have also worked in mental health clinics, post-secondary education settings, and have assisted with policy development and Counsellor training initiatives at the provincial level in B.C. Much of my career has been focused on developing supports for children and youth and I see the role of school counsellors as vital in contributing to student wellness and success.
I am currently working on my Doctorate in Psychology and my research is focused on the application of strength-based assessment tools in the process of psychological assessment. Specifically, I am exploring and reporting upon research-informed implications for using strength-based assessment measures as an additional component to psychological assessment and testing procedures. Recent studies have indicated that the examination of strengths as part of the overall assessment procedure may be helpful in terms of highlighting and promoting positive outcomes for individuals. Research for my M.A. degree was focused on symptoms of depression, suicide and self-harm in children and youth. As an outcome of this research I developed a manual for Educators that was used in the South Okanagan School Districts. Other interests include school mental health programs, and resilience-building resources for children and youth. I am familiar with qualitative and theoretical research methods.
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (Psy.D), California Southern University, In-Progress
- Master of Educational Leadership and Counselling (M.A.), San Diego State University, 1999
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), University of Victoria, 1991
- Registered Clinical Counsellor, Private Practice, Victoria, B.C. (2007 – 2019)
- Sessional Instructor, Camosun College, Victoria, B.C. (2009 – 2014)
- School Counsellor, St. Andrews Regional High School, Victoria, B.C. (2006 – 2007)
- Provincial Mental Health Consultant, MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services, BC Public Service, Victoria, B.C. (2004 – 2006)
- Team Leader and Clinical Supervisor, MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services, BC Public Service, Penticton and South Okanagan, B.C. (2002 – 2004)
- School District Mental Health Counsellor, S.D. #53 and MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services (Shared Funding Position), Penticton and South Okanagan, B.C. (1998 – 2002)
- Youth & Family Worker, Penticton High School Alternate Program, Penticton, B.C. (1995 – 1998)