International Students

Welcoming Students from Around the World

A unique feature of City University of Seattle is its international dimension. CityU could not call itself a global university if international students were not a huge part of who we are. More than 400 students from around the world attend CityU in greater Seattle and Vancouver, Canada. We have been helping students worldwide earn U.S. degrees and better their lives for over 40 years. Our mission is to provide high-quality education that is accessible to anyone, whether they want to study in or outside of the U.S. CityU students become part of an international community with students from over 40 countries and alumni who hold executive positions around the globe.

CityU has locations in Canada, the United States (Washington State), China, Czech Republic, Mexico, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Vietnam. As a private, nonprofit university, CityU offers competitive tuition rates and accepts transfer credit from accredited institutions.

If you are an international student who is interested in pursuing your education in CityU in Canada, please contact our student advisors at

If you are an agent interested in promoting our programs please contact our International Admission Advisors at

Who is considered an international student?

The population of Canada is divided in three main categories: citizens, permanent residents also known as landed immigrants and temporary residents. Temporary residents are legally in Canada for temporary needs, including foreign workers, tourists and international students. In other words students who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Canada are considered international students; this includes US citizens without a dual citizenship (Student Permit, Work Permit, Temporary visa or any other type of Visa).

Approval, Consent and Accreditations

City University of Seattle is a not-for-profit, accredited institution that has offered post-secondary academic programs in Canada since 1984. CityU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the regional accrediting body approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Alaska, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Regional accreditation serves as the most important means of assuring the quality of higher education through rigorous peer-review and evaluation. CityU has maintained continuous accreditation with the Commission since 1978, earning reaffirmation of accreditation in its last seven-year review in 2018.

Canadian Approval and Consent

British Columbia, Canada

In British Columbia the term “university” is used under the written consent of the Minister of Advanced Education effective April 11, 2007; having undergone a quality assessment process by the Degree Quality Assessment Board (DQAB) and been found to meet the criteria established by the minister.

More information: Approval, Consent and Accreditations 

What programs are open to international students?

Due to visa regulations, CityU in Canada only accepts international students into our full-time academic degree programs at our Vancouver, BC location. At this time, these include:

International students must maintain continuous full-time enrollment in order to preserve their study permit visa.

CityU offers an education that is accessible to the working adult and transfer student. Its curriculum is taught by practicing professionals and is results-oriented, hands-on, and informed by what industry demands now.
The learning model is focused on helping professionals earn a degree that will later earn them a better job, salary, title or life after they graduate.

The Bachelor of Arts in Management program offers a broad management background focusing on the organizational and human dimension of the field. This program will teach you the basic knowledge and skills you need to succeed as a manager in your field. You will develop a comprehensive understanding of how organizations work, how to build successful teams, how to be a strong leader, and how to communicate in the business world. The program is designed as a degree completion for students who have already completed their first two years of college. With sufficient transferable credits, students can graduate with a BA in Management in as little as eighteen months.

The Master of Counselling program trains well-rounded mental health counselors for the realities of day-to-day practice. Practitioner faculty emphasizes real-world application of theory, development of case conceptualization skills, ethical awareness, appreciation of diversity, self-awareness, and will prepare students to work as counselors. Supported clinical experiences focusing on the delivery of clinical services assist students in developing a coherent theoretical and ethical framework for practice.

Please contact our Canadian International Student Office to learn more about CityU or to explore our programs or the admissions information.

CityU International Student Office in the US

City University offers a series of programs for international students at the Seattle, Washington, USA site. Please contact the International Admission Office in Seattle for additional information about your options: or 888.422.4898

Maintaining your Immigration Status

Please refer to this letter from the Inmigration Office in Canada.

Here you find some useful information to maintain your Inmigration Status:

  • Passport validity:  Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months of validity at all times. Contact your Embassy to renew or extend your passport in a timely manner.
  • Update your address changes through the Immigration Canada portal and CityU Student Portal (or your advisor).
  • Health Insurance if mandatory for all international students.
  • Register for full course of study each quarter.
  • Employment is highly regulated, please review the CIC website and obtain authorization before accepting any employment.
  • Make sure to review travel information and obtain the obligatory documents before traveling outside of Canada.
  • Request a Study permit extension at least two months before the expiry date listed on your visa if you need more time to finish your degree.

Component of the CityU Academic Model

Click on the components for more information

  • A Focus on Student Learning
    CityU learning experiences are designed to support clearly articulated outcomes at the course, program, and institutional levels. Educational experiences are carefully designed by faculty to encourage self-directed learning within an appropriately defined structure of expectations. With the focus on applying theory to practical experience, learning activities form explicit links among the crucial abilities of an educated professional: critical thinking, self-exploration, and ethical practice. Multiple paths to demonstrating competency are available to students when appropriate. Students are actively encouraged to define and take responsibility for their own contributions to the learning process, with the understanding that their engagement is critical for substantive learning to take place.
  • Reflective Practitioner Faculty
    CityU faculty are highly regarded practitioners who bring real-life experience to the learning environment. We consider students to be collaborative partners in the creation of learning opportunities. To support practitioner faculty in their teaching roles, the institution provides orientation, training, mentoring, and coaching, all designed to foster a respectful and empowering learning environment. Faculty are rewarded for quality teaching, and encouraged to continue their development as facilitators of learning.
  • Relevance to the Workplace
    A CityU education is founded on carefully selected goals that are intended to provide our graduates with up-to-date knowledge and practical skills required in the workplace, as well as a framework for continued development. Institution-wide learning goals that emphasize personal and professional growth are embedded in all programs offered at the University. Our current goals include professional competence and technical expertise, communication and interpersonal skills, critical thinking, ethical practice and community involvement, development of a diverse and global perspective, and lifelong learning. The overarching goals of a CityU education enhance the professional skills and knowledge of individuals who in turn add value to their organizations.
  • Service to Students
    CityU strives to provide a respectful atmosphere in which all students are valued for their contribution and individual needs are honored. A diverse and international student body requires a variety of services to support the learning endeavor. We strive to be sensitive to your needs, to respond in a timely and professional manner to your questions or concerns, and to uphold high standards.
  • Accessibility and Responsiveness
    CityU is committed to making high-quality learning opportunities as accessible and responsive to the needs of our diverse student population as possible. This includes maintaining affordability, removing unnecessary barriers to entry, providing support for students with differing levels of educational background and preparation, and offering a variety of class schedules and modes of delivery.

CityU Learning Goals

City University Learning Goals (CULGs) represent the critical competencies necessary to be successful in today’s workforce. In addition to program learning outcomes that demonstrate knowledge and skills for an area of study, CityU students are expected to demonstrate mastery of the City University Learning Goals upon graduation. These learning goals are practiced extensively across the curriculum and within the context of progressively more challenging problems, projects, and standards.

Click on the goals for more information.

  • CityU graduates exhibit professional competency and a sense of professional identity.
    Our graduates bring to the workplace the knowledge and skills intrinsic to success in their professions. They understand the basic values and mission of the fields in which they are working. They are able to use the appropriate tools to facilitate their work and are able to demonstrate understanding through practical application.
  • CityU graduates have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
    CityU graduates are able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. They are able to interact and work with others in a collaborative manner as well as to negotiate difficult interpersonal situations to bring about solutions to problems that benefit all involved.
  • CityU graduates demonstrate critical thinking and information literacy.
    CityU graduates are able to think critically and to reflect upon their own work and the larger context in which it takes place. They are able to find, access, evaluate, and use information in order to solve problems. They consider the complex implications of actions they take and decisions they make.
  • CityU graduates demonstrate a strong commitment to ethical practice and service in their professions and communities
    CityU graduates take responsibility for their own actions and exhibit high standards of conduct in their professional lives. They are aware of the ethical expectations of their profession and hold themselves accountable to those standards.
  • CityU graduates demonstrate diverse and global perspectives.
    CityU graduates embrace the opportunity to work collaboratively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds, and to learn from the beliefs, values, and cultures of others. They realize that varied viewpoints bring strength and richness to the workplace. CityU graduates demonstrate an awareness of the interrelation of diverse components of a project or situation.
  • CityU graduates are lifelong learners.
    In a world where knowledge and skills must be constantly updated, CityU graduates are inquisitive and self-directed in seeking out ways to continue learning throughout their lifetimes.

More Information: CityU Policies, Administration and Governance

How to apply?

Thank you for considering City University in Canada for your next educational journey. If you are interested in applying to one of our full-time academic degree programs at our Vancouver, you must submit

  1. International Application Form
  2. Supplemental Application Form (Depending on program of choice)

To start the admissions process, please take the steps outline in the Admission procedures below.

Admission Procedures

  1. Contact an advisor to select an educational objective and discuss application and enrollment requirements.
  1. Complete the Online International Student Application Form
  2. Pay the $50 (CAD) nonrefundable application fee. Fee payments may be made at Application Fee payment .
  3. Provide all required documents relevant to the respective degree or program. Supplemental materials required for admission through the online application process for processing or electronically by e-mail at Paper documents should be submitted to:

City University in Canada
Attention: International Admissions
789 W. Pender Street, Suite 310
Vancouver, BC  V6C 1H2

  1. Request official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Have them mailed to:

    City University in Canada
    Attention: International Admissions
    789 W. Pender Street, Suite 310
    Vancouver, BC  V6C 1H2

    Original or certified copies of diplomas and transcripts with certified English translations if applicable. Certified electronic transcripts may be sent to through an authorized vendor used by the student’s sending institution.

  2. Submit:
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • First-quarter tuition deposit
  • Copy of ID page of passport
  • Emergency Contact information

Please send the following items to City University in Canada, International Student Office, 789 West Pender Street, Suite 310, Vancouver, BC, V6C 1H2, Canada.

For students holding Study permit and transferring from another institution within Canada or holding a Government of Canada issued Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Please submit the following documents:

  • Copies of Study Permit, visa, and entry stamp
  • Copies of employment authorization documents and change of status notices if applicable
  • Proof of medical insurance

*Additional requirements apply depending on program and start date.

Additional requirements

Supplemental Documents for the BAM Program

  • Two years post-secondary courses from an accredited institution (Verify transferability)
  • Resume
  • Proof of Name Change if applicable
  • Interview with the Academic Director or her/his designee

Supplemental Documents for the MC Program

  • Prerequisite undergraduate courses in the areas of Learning and Cognition and one course that included the topics of Personality and Human Development
  • Admissions Essay
  • Background Questionnaire
  • References (3 professional references)
  • Proof of Name Change if applicable
  • Interview with the Academic Director or her/his designee
  • Writing sample after interview

City University of Seattle employs a “rolling admission” policy for most programs, which means that the University will accept applications and announce admission decisions continually throughout the year. All applicants, regardless of location, must meet the same admissions standards. Applicants should note, however, that additional program admission requirements, tuition, and fee schedules might differ from program to program. The chart below provides a summary of the application timeline.

If you are using a Third-party please submit the Consent to Release Education records form

Application Deadlines


Start Date



Application Deadline for

Transfer Students

Application Deadline for

Overseas Applicants

Fall (October) Sept. N/A September 1 March 1 N/A
Winter (January) Dec. Dec. December 1 June 1 June 1
Spring (April) March N/A March 1 September 1 N/A
Summer (July) June N/A Jun 1 December 1 N/A

English proficiency Requirement

Because all courses at CityU are taught in English, all incoming students must demonstrate proficiency in English prior to enrollment, in addition to any other admission requirements of their prospective program.

For the purposes of English proficiency requirements, English-speaking countries are defined as the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand exclusively.

Please click here to see the list of recognized standardized tests CityU is accepting.

Acceptance process and study permits

If you are admitted into one of our full-time programs, you will receive a conditional letter of acceptance (letter of offer) pending the verification of your application information with the registrar’s office.   This conditional letter cannot be used for immigration purposes.    Your next step will be to pay the mandatory International Student Admission Deposit (Canada) according to the following guidelines:

Program Amount in CAD $ Comment
BAM $3,000 For students starting in  calendar year 2020  only
BAM $5,000 For students starting in 2021 (January 2021)
MC $10,000 Standard deposit

This deposit will be applied towards your tuition and any other registration fees and gives you access to the registration system. You will not have access to registration until the deposit is received and posted to your account.

When you register, the tuition fee for each course will be deducted from your student account.

If the fees for your courses add up to more than the amount of your deposit, you must pay the additional amount before the fee payment deadline published in the  Important Dates and Tuition Information .

Note: If you register for courses after the fee payment deadline, you must pay any additional fees required. Check the 2019-2020 Tuition Fee Schedule and Refund Policy  for further information regarding fees and fee payment. Tuition and fees subject to change without notice; tuition is quoted quarterly unless otherwise noted.

The International Student Deposit includes a $500 CDN non-refundable and non-transferable fee.

If the Canadian government refuses your application for a study permit, you may request a refund. You must submit a written request to, attaching a copy of the letter of refusal (or an email issued by the Immigration section of a Canadian embassy or consulate office). Please note that we must receive the request no later than six days after the start of the semester in order to issue a refund. For more information please refer to our 2019-2020 Refund Policy.

Payment Methods

    • Credit cards (Credit cards only 2.5% convenience processing fee)
    • Payment from outside of Canada through Flywire (Wire transfer, credit card, Alipay, and more.)
  • Other ways to pay: Sponsorships (Pre-negotiated Third Party Billing)

Pay the application fee

  1. Via Paypal: Application Fee Payment via Paypal
  2. Trough Flywire Application Fee Payment via Flywire

 Pay the Admission Deposit

  1. Via Paypal: Payment via Paypal
  2. Trough Flywire Payment via Flywire

 Pay tuition fees and other student fees

  1. Via Paypal: Payment via Paypal
  2. Trough Flywire Payment via Flywire
  3. Through CityU student Portal at

Penalty applies on overdue fees


Click here to see the instructions to transfer funds from your account when paying by Pre-Authorized Debit or Credit card

How to pay your fees using a credit card or pre-authorized debit. Please have your credit card or your bank account information available before logging into your CityU account.

Step 1: Log into the student portal at

Step 2: Click on “My Account” on the right hand menu

Step 3: At the middle of the screen click on “Make a payment”

Step 4: This will open the TouchNet screen. Click on “Make a payment”

Step 5: You will be asked how much you would like to pay of your balance. Enter the amount you would like to pay. You can add something in the memo field such as “First payment Fall 2018” if you would like. Click “continue”

Step 6: On the next screen, you’ll be asked to select your payment method. You can choose “CAD Pre-Auth Debit” which acts like a debit card by directly debiting your bank account or “Credit Card via Pay Path.” Please note that the vendor adds a 2.5% service fee to credit card payments. There is no service fee for debit payments. You can add as many payment methods as you would like to your account (i.e. multiple credit cards or bank accounts).

Step 7: Once you select your payment method, one of the following will happen:

Pre Authorized Debit:   You’ll be asked to input your information. For a debit payment, you will need your bank information including the routing number, branch number and account number. You will be given the option to save this method of payment so you do not need to enter it every time. You will be taken to a terms and agreements form for you to read and acknowledge before continuing.

Credit Card: You’ll be taken to the PayPath system and asked to enter your date of birth and last name. You’ll be taken to a screen where you are notified about the service fee. The next screen is where you enter your credit card information.

Step 8: On the next screen, review your payment and click on “Submit Payment.”

Step 9: You will receive a notice that your payment was successful. You can print a receipt from this screen.

Please note: To protect your personal information and privacy, City University in Canada will no longer accept credit cards over the phone for tuition payment.

Upon receipt of the deposit, you will be issued a separate acceptance letter after the Registrar’s Office has verified the transcript credentials and you have met all of the additional terms pertaining to international admissions that can be submitted with your application for a study permit.

International students are responsible for applying for and securing their own study permit from the Canadian Federal government.

Study Permit: A Study Permit is a document issue by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allowing an international student to study in Canada for a limited time.

Before your arrival:

  • Get your acceptance letter after submitting all required documents.
  • Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – (except for citizens of visa exempt countries)
  • Apply for a Study Permit

After your arrival:

  • Submit a copy of your Study Permit to your CityU advisor as soon as you arrive in Canada. . Remember that you must maintain your student permit and obtain work authorization when applicable to remain legally in the country..
  • You might need to extend your Study Permit; click here for additional information about the process.
  • Only students who have carried a full-time load for at least six months will quality for study permits; click here for additional information.

After graduation:

  • Some students  decide to stay in Canada after graduation. International students who complete their degrees from City University may qualify for up to three years post graduation work permits. Click here for additional information about the process.

For information on how to apply for a Canadian study permit, please click here.

Please allow ample time for immigration processing as international students are not allowed to attend classes without the appropriate Study Permit. 

Medical Insurance for International students

All international students are required to present proof that they have medical insurance in effect at the time of enrollment. If you have insurance, please submit this form.

International students must present proof of active medical insurance before registering for classes. International students are eligible for provincially subsidized public health insurance in Canada.

About BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

In B.C., this insurance is called the Medical Services Plan or MSP. It typically covers the cost of medically necessary insured doctor services. International students are required to pay premiums as part of their health-care coverage Apply for MSP Online soon after you arrive.*

* Coverage begins after three months. International students are advised to apply upon arrival.

Effective September 1, 2019, a health fee will be implemented for international students.

The health fee will apply to international post-secondary students at the rate of:

  • CAD $37.50 per month, per student, from September 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019; and
  • CAD $75.00 per month, per student, effective January 1, 2020, coinciding with the elimination of MSP premiums.

Please visit the Government of BC website for additional information.

Global Campus Health Plan for International Students

International student can alternatively select to be covered by reputable insurance companies such as the  Global Campus Health Plan for International Students prior to qualifying for the provincial coverage (first three month). Their Health Plan offered through David Cummings Insurance Services (DCIS) at a low cost is designed to cover students either during the waiting period for provincial or territorial coverage in Canada or for the entire duration of their study term.

Please read their Enrollment page to learn more about their policies.

Additional Information:

  • Their current premium (DCIS “Comprehensive Plan” – administered by Allianz Global Assistance) is as follows:
    • $1.60 per day, per international student studying in Canada (min. 30 days)
    • $2.20* per day, per eligible dependent family member (spouse or child) accompanying the international student in Canada
  • DCIS Contact:
  • Application form (PDF 1 attached)
  • DCIs “Comprehensive Plan” benefits (PDF 2 attached)

Tuition fees and schedule

International students and domestic students pay the same base tuition at CityU in Canada.  Download our tuition fee schedule for the current school year HERE .

Housing Options

For more information about housing options please click here

Student Residences: If you are looking for a student orientated housing option, Global Education City (GEC) is a student residence located in Vancouver. They offer student hotels as well as serviced apartments.Global Education City (GEC) is a student residence located in Vancouver. They offer student hotels as well as serviced apartments.

Their mandate is to “offer access to, and provide, safe, secure and comfortable accommodations to foreign and domestic students, thereby helping to give them a positive, meaningful experience while they live and study in Vancouver, BC, Canada.”  Residence halls are open to students of any institution and have a variety of choices or room types.  Several locations which are accessible by transit.  Students are able to sign a contract for as little as 8 weeks up or plan to stay their whole degree.  Visit their website for more information.

Hotels: If you are looking for a place to live until you settle down in a long-term apartment, there are plenty of hotels near CityU. Most hotels offer a shuttle from the airport or taxi service.

The YWCA Hotel Vancouver is safe and affordable option in Downtown Vancouver

Airbnb: Airbnb has many short and long term options for students.  Visit their site to investigate your options.

Hostels: If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to hotels, hostels would be a good compromise if you don’t mind sharing a room with other people.  Visit this website for more information.

Homestay : Another alternative is homestays.  You live with a family of your choice and meals are often provided.  This method of living offers the chance to live like a local and experience what life is really like in that place. For more information, visit Vancouver’s homestay website. 

Additional Information

For more information regarding:

  • Visa
  • Airport
  • Public Transportation
  • Banking
  • Cost of Living
  • City of Vancouver

Please visit our International Student Resources page.