Associate Faculty Counselling
I love working with groups, families and teams. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor and Master Corporate Executive Coach. I have a private practice for over 25 years where I offer coaching and counselling services. I am grateful to do work that supports people to be well, live well and to meaningfully contribute around them and to our world. I enjoy giving back: I ongoingly coach for Ted Talks and do pro-bono work with environmental leaders and organizations.
For my Masters degree in Counselling Leadership, I studied the experience of Lay Counsellor participants in group training. I have a doctorate in Leadership Development and Executive Coaching, with published research and books on Terrific Teams and Team Coaching.
Counselling: I am trained in Interpersonal Therapy for Depressed Adolescents, cognitive behavioral therapy, solution-focused therapy, family systems, group therapy, prolonged exposure for PTSD, dialectical behavioral therapy, Triple P Parenting, and advanced suicide risk assessment. I held counselling/mental health roles in the Ministry for Children and Family Development for eleven years, including work with eating disorders, policy development and counsellor training and mentorship. I have led over 40 therapeutic groups and currently facilitate a Caregivers Support Group for Eating Disorders.
Coaching: I am the North America Lead for Resilience@Work, a Master Trainer for Conflict Dynamics and am core faculty with the International Systemic Team Coaching Program.
- Doctor of Leadership Development and Executive Coaching Middlesex University, UK, 2012
- Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching, Royal Roads University, Victoria, 2013
- Master of Counselling Leadership (M.Ed.), University of Victoria, 1996
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), University of Victoria, 1986
- Registered Clinical Counsellor and Executive Coach, Private Practice, Victoria, B.C. (2007 – current)
- Strategic Coaching Practice Lead, Business and Leadership Coach, BC Public Service Agency (2011-2013)
- Senior Mental Health Therapist & Mental Health Consultant, Ministry of Children and Family Development, Victoria, B.C. (1995-2012)
- Program Coordinator and Lay Counselling Trainer, Pacific Centre Family Services Association (1995-2003)
- Carr, C., and Peters, J. (2013). The experience and impact of team coaching: a dual case study. International Journal Coaching Psychology Review, 8(1). pp.80-98.
- Carr, C. and Seto, L. (August, 2013). Action research study on coaches’ cultural awareness in the public sector. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 11(1), pp. 94-111.
- Hawkins, P, Carr, C., and Peters, J., Learning from case studies and an overview of published case studies, in Hawkins, P. (2014). Leadership Team Coaching in Practice. Philadelphia, PA, Kogan Press.
- Peters, J., and Carr, C. (August, 2013). Team effectiveness and team coaching literature review. Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice.
- Peters, J., and Carr, C. (2013). 50 tips for terrific teams: proven strategies for building high performance teams. Victoria, BC, Canada: Friesen Press.
- Peters, J., and Carr C. (2013). High performance team coaching: a comprehensive system for leaders and coaches. Victoria, BC, Canada: Friesen Press.