Associate Faculty MEd School Counselling, Internship Instructor
Galen is a Registered Clinical Counsellor, Art Therapist, leadership development specialist, certified coach, instructor, workshop facilitator and yoga teacher living in Vancouver, British Columbia. Galen brings a compassion focused breadth of knowledge to her role as an Internship Instructor in the MEd School Counselling Program.
Galen has worked with individuals and teams in one-on-one and group settings in schools, community health organizations, correctional facilities, businesses and counselling centres for more than 20 years. With an MA in change, leadership and learning, Galen has a passion for working with advocates and organizers to communicate the value and necessity of equitable access to art education and as a predictor of wellness, empathy and positive mental health outcomes.
At present I am enlivened by the exponential advancements in neuroscience as it relates to somatic and bio/pyscho/ social therapeutic interventions. I continue to be inspired by various neurodiversity communities, and am focused on the science of habit change, strategies and practices to combat empathy fatigue and moving from a trauma informed practice to resiliency over time.
Galen works and teaches via an eclectic person centred and strength-based practice informed by the intersection of neuroscience, psychology and contemplative practice. Grounded in developmental attachment & feminist theory and enlivened by art, compassion focused therapeutic practices, positive neuroplasticity and mindfulness practices, Galen is a lifelong learner continually adding layers of specialized training to her practice.
As an uninvited guest and settler I acknowledge with gratitude that I learn and work from the stolen land, water and air of the the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations and endeavour to work from a social justice, decolonization, anti racist and intersectional theories of oppression lens.
- 2020: Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy
- 2020: Mindful Self Compassion/ MFIT
- 2020. Sensory Motor Art Therapy, Institute for Sensory Motor Art Therapy
- 2006. MA in Leadership & Learning, Royal Roads University
- 2001. DVATI Graduate Level Diploma from the Vancouver Art Therapy Institute
- 2000. Yoga Teacher Training Certification
- 1995. BAH Film & Communications, Queens University
- 2020, BCEdAccess 2020 Advo-Con: Resiliency in the Face of Change
- 2020, From Trauma Informed to Resiliency Training: Connection in the Time of Distancing
- 2020, When Words Are Not Enough: Expressive Arts Trauma Informed Practice Training
- 2020, 2019, 2018. Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services
- 2018. Rise Up 2018: BC Inclusion Conference
- 2018. First Call Public Education Forum: The Art of Inclusive Learning: Public Education As Critical Care?
- 2019. Why Visual Arts Matter: The Extermination of Core Arts Curriculum in Vancouver Elementary Schools
- 2018. Building an Inclusive Parents Advocacy Community
- 2018. PAN: An Introduction to Parent Public Education Advocacy
- 2018. Inclusion & diversity A win-win for all: making us Richer, Smarter & Better
- 2018. Art Therapy & Early Childhood Education
2020. Hidden Hero Award, Presented on behalf of Hon Joyce Murray Member of Parliament