Mary Charleson (MBA, City University of Seattle, 2002) is a marketing speaker, educator and strategist. She is the author of two books, Word of Mouth Mouse & Mobile and Five-Minute Marketing, each featuring tips for the time-starved business leader. She is a member of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers and the Global Speakers Federation. She is one of fewer than 12% of speakers globally who hold the designation of CSP (Certified Speaking Professional), the international measure of excellence for professional competence and proven experience.
Charleson’s career spans over 20 years in media, advertising and education. She has been a popular marketing instructor at City University of Seattle, NYIT (New York Institute of Technology), Capilano University, Acsenda School of Management and guest lecturer at UBC Sauder School of Business. She has worked with hundreds of business and organizations to improve their marketing efforts through consulting and speaking.
A contributor to Business in Vancouver since 2002 and a monthly marketing columnist for the Huffington Post, Charleson’s work has also been published in the Globe & Mail, the Toronto Star, the Vancouver Sun, Marketing Magazine, Strategy, Zoomer, Cottage and Outside magazine. She is a frequent guest on CBC TV news offering her opinion on marketing and business trends.
Mary has taught part-time at City University of Seattle in both the MBA program and the BAM program. Mary also teaches marketing course at Capilano University and Acsenda School of Management, and in the past has taught at NYIT (New York Institute of Technology MBA program), University Canada West (MBA program) and has guest lectured at UBC (University of British Columbia)
Publications and activities
- National board member, Marketing & Media portfolio, CAPS (Canadian Association of Professional Speakers), 2016-18.
- National board member, GTEC (Green Technology Education Centre), 2017-present.
- Professional member, Canadian Association of Professional Speakers (CAPS) and Global Speakers Federation (GSF), 2008 to present.
- Charleson, Mary. Five-Minute Marketing, Trafford Publishing, 2009.
- Charleson, Mary. Word of Mouth Mouse & Mobile, Trafford on Demand Pub, 2013.
- 2017: We All Live in a Bubble. Here’s why you should step out of it according to experts, Global TV.
- 2017: Capilano University’s rebranding, Daily Hive.
- 2016: Can’t Believe Trump Won? Get out of your social media bubble, The 180, CBC National Radio.
- 2016: Bias Election Coverage And Consumption Will Have Consequences, Huffington Post
- 2015: Marketing Fails 2014, CBC TV.
- 2015: Future Shop Closure, CBC TV.
Research and scholarly interests
My interests include marketing, media, digital and social media.
Awards and recognition
CSP (Certified Speaking Professional) Award, National Speakers Association, 2016.