An educator for almost 40 years, Mary has worked as a teacher, counsellor, vice-principal and principal with the Coquitlam School District, concluding her career as the principal of Dr. Charles Best Secondary School. She played a major role in developing the district’s Critical Response Team and Crisis Response Handbook has presented numerous suicide-prevention workshops and has served as a District Critical Incidence responder and debriefer. Also trained as a family therapist, Mary was the first teacher in the District’s Teen Parent Program; years later, as a high school principal, she had the pleasure of congratulating several of her students’ children as they crossed the stage during their commencement ceremony. Since retiring in 2014, Mary has worked intermittently on a contract basis with the school district as an administrator and counsellor. She is happily married to her best friend and is thrilled that her two sons have married such wonderful women, both of whom are teachers. Mary joined the City U faculty in 2014 as an Internship and Practicum supervisor for the School Counselling program.
- Counselling Practicum (ECC 601/602)
- School Counselling Internship (EGC 605, 607, 609)
2014 – present: On Contract with Coquitlam School District
2001 – 2014: Administrator
- Maple Creek Middle – Vice Principal 2001-2003
- Riverside Secondary – Vice Principal 2003-206
- Charles Best Secondary – Principal – 2006-2014
1991 – 2001: Teacher/Counsellor
- CABE Coquitlam Alternate Basic Education – Teen Parent Program
- Pinetree Secondary – Counsellor, Administrative Assistant
- M.Ed. Counselling Psychology – Secondary School emphasis, UBC. May 1984.
- B.A. Majors: Psychology, Sociology, SFU. May 1977.
- Post-Graduate course work. School Psychology & Education, UBC. July 1987 – June 1989, SFU, 1998
- Certificate, Family Systems Therapy, two-year program, Pacific Coast Family Therapy Training Association, June 1992