Michelle Brennick is a proud native of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, a proud mother of twins and a delighted grandmother of four grandchildren.
Michelle’s first teaching position, following graduation from St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, brought her further east to Newfoundland where she taught for two years. A return move to her home province was short-lived, as she and her husband had a yearning to move west to experience the wonders of Alberta. In November 1986 Michelle, her husband Pierre and their 4 year old twin children moved to Northern Alberta. After living in the wonderful village of Donnelly for five years, Michelle and family moved to the Calgary area where she was a teacher and administrator for 15 years in two different school divisions – Rocky View School Division and Calgary Catholic School District.
Since 2006, Michelle has been serving Northern Gateway Public Schools (NGPS), the last 9 years in the role of Deputy Superintendent. Working out of the Central Office in Whitecourt, Alberta, Michelle works with NGPS personnel along the three hundred and fifty kilometre corridor from Alberta Beach to the two Hutterite colonies north of Valleyview. Her Bachelor degrees in Science and Secondary Education and her Master of Arts in Administration and Supervision degree, combined with 20+ years teaching and school administrative experience, provide her with an ideal background in her Division Office position responsible for Human Resources, Learning Services and School support, and Payroll Services.
In her ‘spare time’ Michelle is active in exercise Bootcamps, running, cycling, swimming, yoga and training for half marathons and tri-athlons. In July 2016 Michelle completed her first Half-Ironman. Additionally, Michelle and her husband are active grandparents, participating in the lives of their grandchildren whenever time and opportunity permit.
Michelle is looking forward to another learning and growing opportunity as she undertakes a part-time sessional instructor role with City University with the Whitecourt Cohort.
- Preparation for Professional Growth (ECC 509)
- Dimensions of Educational Leadership (EEA 535)
- 2008-present: Deputy Superintendent, Northern Gateway Public Schools
- 2007-2008: Assistant Superintendent, Northern Gateway Public Schools
- 2006-2007: Director of Learning Services, Northern Gateway Public Schools
- 2004-2006: Vice-Principal, Calgary Separate School District
- Master of Arts (Administration & Supervision), Gonzaga University, 2004
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary), Mount Saint Vincent University, 1986
- Bachelor of Science (Nutrition/Consumer Studies), Saint Francis Xavier University, 1983