Originally hired as a Math teacher, I was asked to move into the counselling department at Abbotsford Junior Secondary in my second year and never looked back. As department chair at first Abby Junior and then Abbotsford Senior, I took a leadership role in areas of crisis response and suicide prevention, as well as constructing the school timetables. I was also the suicide prevention trainer for the Abbotsford School District until my retirement there in 2007.
My counselling modalities were greatly influenced by opportunities early in my career to meet and observe both Virginia Satir and William Glasser. My belief system has been strengthened by recent works in attachment theory, as well as strength-based counselling and the narrative approach. One of my strongest biases is that the school counsellor should be among the hardest working staff members in any school and those who are seeking an easier job from teaching should look elsewhere.
My first priority will always be my family and I have recently become a grandfather for the first time. However I also value the inclusion of athletics and fine arts into our lives and while my interest in the arts is restricted to being an observer, I coached women’s basketball in school as well as softball and rep soccer in the Abbotsford community.
As a lifelong learner, I continue to attend workshops and conferences every year and find rejuvenation from the eager young minds of our CityU students.
- Introduction to School-based Counselling (ECC 514)
- Counselling Field Experience (ECC 601)
- Counselling Practicum (ECC 602)
- Internship I (EGC 605)
- Internship II (EGC 607)
- Internship III (EGC 609)
- 2009: Counsellor, Abbotsford Traditional Secondary School
- 2007-present: Adjunct Teaching Faculty (Leadership & School Counselling M. Ed. Program, City University
- 1982-2007: Counsellor & Mathematics, Career Explorations & Peer Counselling teacher, Abbotsford Senior School
- 1973-1982: Mathematics teacher and Guidance Counsellor, Abbotsford Junior Secondary School
- 1976-1982: Department Head of Counselling, Abbotsford Junior Secondary School
- Master of Education (Counselling Psychology), University of British Columbia, 1989
- Bachelor of Education (Mathematics & Guidance), University of British Columbia, 1973