Associate Director of MEd in School Counselling (Victoria)
As an Associate Program Director of the MEd in School Counselling Program, my role is focused on contributing to a quality student experience and success of program implementation. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor specializing in the psychological functioning of children and youth. I have worked in private practice and I have held counselling/mental health roles in the schools. I have also worked in mental health clinics, post-secondary education settings, and have assisted with policy development and Counsellor training initiatives at the provincial level in B.C. Much of my career has been focused on developing supports for children and youth and I see the role of school counsellors as vital in contributing to student wellness and success.
My doctoral research explored the application of strength-based assessment tools in the process of psychological assessment. Specifically, I examined research outcomes that support the application and utilization of strength-based assessment procedures and I explored clinical and educational settings where standardized strength-based psychological assessment tools are currently being utilized. Research findings suggested that the utilization of strength-based assessment procedures in the process of psychological assessment can contribute to positive outcomes for clients related to psychiatric symptomatology, enhanced psychological well-being, and holistic perceptions of client functioning.
Research for my M.A. degree was focused on symptoms of depression, suicide and self-harm in children and youth. As an outcome of this research I developed a manual for Educators that was used in the South Okanagan School Districts. Other interests include school-based mental health programs, and resilience-building resources for children and youth.
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (PsyD), California Southern University, 2021
- Master of Educational Leadership and Counselling (M.A.), San Diego State University, 1999
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), University of Victoria, 1991
- Registered Clinical Counsellor, Private Practice, Victoria, B.C. (2007 – 2019)
- Sessional Instructor, Camosun College, Victoria, B.C. (2009 – 2014)
- School Counsellor, St. Andrews Regional High School, Victoria, B.C. (2006 – 2007)
- Provincial Mental Health Consultant, MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services, BC Public Service, Victoria, B.C. (2004 – 2006)
- Team Leader and Clinical Supervisor, MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services, BC Public Service, Penticton and South Okanagan, B.C. (2002 – 2004)
- School District Mental Health Counsellor, S.D. #53 and MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services (Shared Funding Position), Penticton and South Okanagan, B.C. (1998 – 2002)
- Youth & Family Worker, Penticton High School Alternate Program, Penticton, B.C. (1995 – 1998)