David began his teaching career in 1978 and since then has served in 8 different school districts in a variety of roles from teacher to superintendent in Newfoundland and Alberta. Throughout his 38-year career David has been an innovative educator and administrator who has always kept students as the focus.
One of David’s proudest moments in education came when he was recognized by the Canadian Association of School System Administrators as the winner of the EXL Award for Excellence in District Leadership. A year earlier he had been recognized as a winner of the TD Award for Leadership in the Arts.
A significant part of David’s career has been focused on mentoring new teachers and school administrators. As a school system administrator his work with new administrators has been to orientate them to the system and to guide them through the first couple of years or provide advice when something new or different came their way. David looks forward to working with aspiring or new school based administrators from the university preparation viewpoint and believe his experience will provide insights and practical solutions for them in their new roles while exploring current research and models of leadership.
- Technology Tools and Information Literacy (ECC 510)
- Research Methods in Education (ECC 511)
- Ethics and Law for School-based Practice (ECC 513)
- Technologies for Learning (EEA 534)
- Leadership Internship I in Student Services (EEA 641)
- Leadership Internship II (EEA 642)
- 2016-present: Owner, David Quick Educational Consulting Inc.
- 2008-2016: Assistant Superintendent Learning Services, Greater St Albert School District
- 2004-2008: Chief Deputy Superintendent, Living Waters Regional Division
- Masters of Education (Curriculum & Instruction), Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1987
- Bachelor of Science (Mathematics), Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1978
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary), Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1978
- (2003) Canadian Association of School Administrators – EXL Award – Exemplary School District Administrator, Hull, Quebec
- (2002) Toronto Dominion Award for Leadership in the Arts, Ottawa
- “An Investigation into the van Hiele Levels of Thinking in the Geometry Component of Academic and Advanced Mathematics”, St. John’s, NL, August 1987.
- “Using Technology in the K-6 Curriculum”, Teaching Mathematics Journal, Fall 1984. Mathematics Council, St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- “Teaching Geometry in Junior High”, Teaching Mathematics Journal, Winter 1984. Mathematics Council, St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- “Are we Teaching the Boys as Well as the Girls”, Across the Waters Newsletter, Sept. 2005.
- “One Size Fits All, Doesn’t Work for Pantyhose or Children”, Across the Waters Newsletter, May 2005
- “Creating Classrooms that Get the Brain Ready to Learn” Across the Waters Newsletter, May 2006
- “Homework: Rethinking and Age Old Practice”, Across the Waters Newsletter, Sept. 2006
- “Teaching is an Art as well as a Science”, Across the Waters Newsletter, April 2008