The Family Counsellor provide mid-range family, individual and group abuse counselling to Ann Davis Society clients generally 19 years plus. This program does not deal with serious mental health conditions: DID, cults, psychoses nor will ADTS offer services of a religious nature. This position is a part of the ADTS Leadership Team.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform the job successfully the Family Counsellor must be able to perform consistently perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assess and identify specific behaviours and emotional issues to be addressed
- Develop and implement therapeutic programs necessary to meet goals which includes approaches (i.e. EMDR, OEI, other mainstream modalities)
- Counsel from a feminist perspective addressing such issues as societal structures and values
- Follow Society personnel policies
- Records kept in a professional manner up to policy/CARF standards
- Maintain strict confidentiality of client information
- Acquire knowledge of community resources and referral process; become thoroughly familiar with Ann Davis programs to make referrals
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, case conferencing, and clinical supervision
- It is expected that staff will, at least once a year, voluntarily help with a Society fundraising activity
- Other related duties as may be required from time to time
- Facilitates open communication within the case management team
- Contributes to regular reporting procedures, including ongoing case notes, incident reports, monthly progress summaries and exit reports.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Registered Clinical Counsellor or Masters of Social Work RSW
- Five plus years’ experience including knowledge of domestic violence and abuse issues
- Thorough knowledge of abuse issues and impact
- Understanding of substance misuse and Mental Health diagnoses
- Knowledge of feminist theory and practice
- OEI, EMDR are definite assets
- Co -Management of a team
Case Management Skills
- Demonstrated ability working constructively and cooperatively in a team setting
- Ability to provide supervision and support to a counselling team (Senior Clinician)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience with case recording practices
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
Counsellor must have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Staff act as role models, businesslike dress code, good boundaries and other professional and ethical behaviours are expected
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Able to work with little supervision while contributing as a team member
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Ethical standards as laid out by governing body (RCC etc.), adhere to ADTS policies Practice professional boundaries
- Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check
- Counsellor should not transport clients or offer service in a client’s home unless approved by the Executive Director
- Ability and willingness to work cooperatively with leadership
- Utilize de-briefing opportunities with ADTS staff and leadership
- Attention to own personal needs, stress management, emotional health
- Demonstrate a sensitivity and understanding of the client population’s socio-economic characteristics
- Have the ability to work with any client that is referred.
- Have the ability to work with values and behaviours that are very different from those of the employee
- Ensure that personal values and beliefs are not insinuated, promoted, or imposed on the clients.
- Have a positive conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change.
- Have the ability to work in partnership with other team members, including referring authorities
- Have computer, scheduling and internet skills
Counsellor will work from the Chilliwack office, 7 hours/day excluding a one-hour unpaid lunch break.
The Family Counsellor will follow the Code of Ethics and the Mission Statement of the Ann Davis Transition Society.
Work Site: Main office 9046 Young St. Chilliwack
How to apply:
Posting open until filled.
Please send cover letter with resume attention Executive Director with Family Counsellor/Sr. Clinician in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org with 2 letters of reference.