Skip navigation menu
Return to start of navigation menu

MC – AB Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long does it take to complete the training?

Students typically complete our program in three years.

2. What is the program’s greatest strength?

All faculty are active professional therapists who teach practical counselling techniques, not just theories, in the classroom.

3. What is the deadline for admission?

Our program has different intake times each year depending on the program stream. Typically, interviews are done in a group format.  Successful applicants are guaranteed a place once they receive their acceptance letters and met all mandatory admission creteria.  These are typically sent within two weeks of the interview.

4. May I defer admission?

Successful applicants may defer their admission for a single year. After that, admission offers are withdrawn and applicants are required to redo the full admissions process.

5. What is the total cost of the program?

Tuition costs approximately $46,000 CDN over three years.

6. What are the pre-requisites for this program?

The three prerequisite categories are:

1) Developmental Psychology

2) Learning or Cognitive Psychology

3) Counselling or Personality Theory

7. How are classes taught?

Our program has three delivery options.

  • The Saturdays/evenings stream is 100% face-to-face and runs from 8am-4:45pm on most weekends except statutory holidays.
  • The mixed-mode stream involves two residencies every three months as well as online classes.
  • The full-time stream involves day and evening classes three day per week.

8. How long are the school terms?

We have four terms or quarters each year that are 10-weeks long.

  • Fall Quarter runs from October to December.
  • Winter Quarter runs from January to March.
  • Spring Quarter runs from April to June. 
  • Summer Quarter takes place on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends of July. Students are on vacation in August and September.

9. What does the counselling internship involve?

In Year 3, students are required to complete 250 internship hours in the community over a six-month period. Internships are unpaid and may not be completed at the student’s place of employment.

10. How do I get an internship placement?

Students are provided with an internship manual containing a list of pre-approved sites. They are required to independently apply to a variety of sites in order to get a placement.

11. How are classes taught?

Our program has two delivery options. The Saturdays/evenings stream is 100% face-to-face and runs from 8am-4:45pm on most weekends except statutory holidays. The mixed-mode stream involves two face-to-face residencies every three months in addition to online classes.

12. Are there any scholarships or bursaries I can apply for at CityU?

Yes, City U offers merit-based and need-based scholarships every quarter.

For more information, visit our scholarships’ page. 

13. What career opportunities are available after I graduate from your program?

Our graduates frequently pursue careers as Registered Psychologists (R.Psychs.) and Canadian Certified Counsellors (C.C.Cs) and professional counsellors.

14. What is your program’s relationship with professional associations such as the College of Alberta Psychologist, the Psychological Association of Alberta, or the Association of Counselling Therapy of Alberta?

Our program maintains a cordial, arms-length relationship with a range of professional counselling organizations. As such, our curriculum design is completely independent.

15. Will this degree get me into the College of Alberta Psychologists?

Our degree meets a part of the admission requirements for the College of Alberta Psychologists’ (CAP). However, City U graduates applying to CAP must also complete additional senior undergraduate credits in counselling psychology.

See CAP website for details.

16. What do I need besides this degree to become a registered psychologist?

City U graduates, once accepted into CAP, must complete an additional 1,600 hours of supervised practice, pass the jurisprudence exam, and pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP).

17. What about Alberta’s new psychotherapy college?

The admission requirements for the new psychotherapy college are currently unknown.

18. What is the difference between an M.A. in Counselling Degree vs. M.C Degree?

An M. A. in Counselling is typically a research-based degree, while an M. C. is a course-based degree focused on applied clinical practice.

19. What is the difference between the MC program in AB and BC?

The Alberta and BC programs are similar in course content. However, the legislative differences between provinces mean there are subtle yet distinct differences in curriculum delivery.

Request Info