Skip navigation menu
Return to start of navigation menu

How to Apply? International Students

How to apply?

Thank you for considering City University in Canada for your next educational journey. If you are interested in applying as an international student to one of our full-time academic degree programs at our Vancouver Campus, please review our admission procedures and requirements:

  1. International Application Form
  2. Application fee
  3. Supplemental Documents
Admission Procedures
  1. Contact an advisor to select an educational objective and discuss application and enrollment requirements.
  2. Complete the Online International Student Application Form
  3. Pay the $200(CAD) nonrefundable application fee. Fee payments may be made on this link: Application Fee payment. 
  4. Provide all required documents relevant to the respective degree or program. Supplemental materials required for admission through the online application process for processing or electronically by e-mail at
    Paper documents should be submitted to:
    City University in Canada
    Attention: International Admissions
    789 W. Pender Street, Suite 310
    Vancouver, BC  V6C 1H2
  1. Request official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Original or certified copies of diplomas and transcripts with certified English translations if applicable. Certified electronic transcripts may be sent to through an authorized vendor used by the student’s sending institution.
    Have them mailed to:
    City University in Canada
    Attention: International Admissions
    789 W. Pender Street, Suite 310
    Vancouver, BC  V6C 1H2
  2. Proof of English language proficiency
  3. Submit:
    1. First-quarter tuition deposit
    2. Copy of ID page of passport
    3. Emergency Contact information

For students holding a study permit and transferring from another institution within Canada or holding a Government of Canada issued Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Please submit the following documents:

  • Copies of Study Permit, visa, and entry stamp
  • Copies of employment authorization documents and change of status notices if applicable
  • Proof of medical insurance

*Additional requirements apply depending on program and start date.

City University of Seattle employs a “rolling admission” policy for most programs, which means that the University will accept applications and announce admission decisions continually throughout the year. All applicants, regardless of location, must meet the same admissions standards. Applicants should note, however, that additional program admission requirements, tuition, and fee schedules might differ from program to program. The chart below provides a summary of the application timeline.

If you are using a Third-party please submit the Consent to Release Education records form.

Application Deadlines

BAM Deadline

Start DateApplication Deadline for Transfer StudentsApplication Deadline for Overseas Applicants
Fall (October)N/ASeptember 1
Winter (January)DecDecember 1
Spring (April)N/AMarch 1
Summer(July)N/AJune 1

Master of Counselling Deadline

We have reached capacity for our January 2024 and January 2025 intakes. Applications to the January 2026 intake will open on January 2024.

English Proficiency Requirement

Because all courses at CityU are taught in English, all incoming students must demonstrate proficiency in English prior to enrollment, in addition to any other admission requirements of their prospective program. For more information about English requirements click here.

Acceptance process

If you are admitted into one of our full-time programs, you will receive a conditional letter of acceptance (letter of offer) pending the verification of your application information with the registrar’s office.   This conditional letter cannot be used for immigration purposes.  Your next step will be to pay the mandatory International Student Admission Deposit (Canada).

This deposit will be applied towards your tuition and any other registration fees and gives you access to the registration system. You will not have access to registration until the deposit is received and posted to your account.

When you register, the tuition fee for each course will be deducted from your student account.

If the fees for your courses add up to more than the amount of your deposit, you must pay the additional amount before the fee payment deadline published in the  Important Dates and Tuition Information.

Note: If you register for courses after the fee payment deadline, you must pay any additional fees required. Check the Tuition Fee Schedule and Refund Policy for further information regarding fees and fee payment. Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice; tuition is quoted quarterly unless otherwise noted.

The International Student Deposit includes a $500 CDN non-refundable and non-transferable fee.
If the Canadian government refuses your application for a study permit, you may request a refund. You must submit a written request to, attaching a copy of the letter of refusal (or an email issued by the Immigration section of a Canadian embassy or consulate office). Please note that we must receive the request no later than six days after the start of the semester in order to issue a refund.

Please refer to the Payment Options for any payment

Upon receipt of the deposit, you will be issued a separate acceptance letter after the Registrar’s Office has verified the transcript credentials and you have met all of the additional terms pertaining to international admissions that can be submitted with your application for a study permit.

International students are responsible for applying for and securing their own study permit from the Canadian Federal government.

Study Permit

A Study Permit is a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allows an international student to study in Canada for a limited time.

Before your arrival

  • Get your acceptance letter after submitting all required documents.
  • Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – (except for citizens of visa exempt countries)
  • Apply for a Study Permit

After your arrival

  • Submit a copy of your Study Permit to your CityU advisor as soon as you arrive in Canada. . Remember that you must maintain your student permit and obtain work authorization when applicable to remain legally in the country..
  • You might need to extend your Study Permit; click here for additional information about the process.
  • Only students who have carried a full-time load for at least six months will quality for study permits; click here for additional information.

After Graduation

Some students decide to stay in Canada after graduation. International students who complete their degrees from City University may qualify for up to three years post graduation work permits. Click here for additional information about the process. For information on how to apply for a Canadian study permit, please click here.

Please allow ample time for immigration processing as international students are not allowed to attend classes without the appropriate Study Permit. 

Request Info