Skip navigation menu
Return to start of navigation menu

International Students

Welcoming Students from Around the World

Important information for International Students Applying for a study permit on or after December 1, 2023
As of December 1, 2023 a new version of the Study Permit application form (IMM1294) must be used by international students applying through the IRCC secure account.  
This new version must be used to submit Study Permit applications starting on this date.  
Applications submitted on or after December 1, 2023, that use the old version of the form will not be accepted.

Our Mission: To change lives for good by offering high-quality and relevant lifelong education to anyone with the desire to learn

A unique feature of City University is its international dimension. CityU could not call itself a global university if international students were not a huge part of who we are. More than 700 students from around the world attend CityU in greater Seattle (USA) and Vancouver, Canada. We have been helping students worldwide earn U.S. degrees and better their lives for 50 years. Our mission is to provide high-quality education that is accessible to anyone, whether they want to study in or outside of the U.S and Canada. CityU students become part of an international community with students from over 40 countries and alumni who hold executive positions around the globe.

CityU has locations in Canada, the United States (Washington State), China, Czech Republic, Mexico, Slovakia, and Vietnam. As a private, nonprofit university, CityU offers small classes and competitive tuition rates and accepts transfer credit from accredited institutions.

Who is considered an international student?

The population of Canada is divided in three main categories: citizens, permanent residents also known as landed immigrants and temporary residents. Temporary residents are legally in Canada for temporary needs, including foreign workers, tourists and international students. In other words students who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Canada are considered international students; this includes US citizens without a dual citizenship (Student Permit, Work Permit, Temporary visa or any other type of visa).

International students must maintain continuous full-time enrollment in order to preserve their study permit visa. A full-time undergraduate student at CityU Canada is defined as one who is registered in at least 15 credits (3 courses) per quarter.

CityU offers an education that is accessible to the working adult and transfer student. Its curriculum is taught by practicing professionals and is results-oriented, hands-on, and informed by what industry demands now. The learning model is focused on helping professionals earn a degree that will later earn them a better job, salary, title or life after they graduate.



Information for New Students

Please contact our international admissions at If you are an international student who has already applied or is interested in pursuing your education in CityU in Canada. Our Advisors can assist you with questions related to admissions, Letter of Acceptance, Program Deferral, fees, and general queries. 

Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) page for New Study Permits (Students’ Visa) application process and inquiries.

Information for current CityU students

Advisors are available to support CityU students currently studying at CityU. We can answer questions by email, in person or virtually by appointments. Additional services are accessible through the CityU Student Portal CityU Student Portal

What programs are open to international students?

News Release

Additional information about International Student Program reforms

Ottawa, February 5, 2024—Further information is being provided to clarify the announcement of an intake cap on new international study permit applications and other changes. International students make important contributions to Canada’s campuses, communities and economy; however, we have seen unsustainable growth in the International Student Program in recent years. These recently announced reforms will support sustainable population growth in Canada and improve system integrity, while helping to ensure that international students have a positive experience in Canada.

For more information click here

Revised requirements to better protect international students

The Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced today that starting January 1, 2024, the cost-of-living financial requirement for study permit applicants will be raised so that international students are financially prepared for life in Canada. Moving forward, this threshold will be adjusted each year when Statistics Canada updates the low-income cut-off (LICO). LICO represents the minimum income necessary to ensure that an individual does not have to spend a greater than average portion of income on necessities.

The cost-of-living requirement for study permit applicants has not changed since the early 2000s, when it was set at $10,000 for a single applicant. As such, the financial requirement hasn’t kept up with the cost of living over time, resulting in students arriving in Canada only to learn that their funds aren’t adequate. For 2024, a single applicant will need to show they have $20,635, representing 75% of LICO, in addition to their first year of tuition and travel costs. This change will apply to new study permit applications received on or after January 1, 2024.

Learn More

The Government of Canada Announces Extension of Post-Graduation Work Permits for up to 18 Months to Retain High Skilled Talent (March 17, 2023)

As of April 6, graduates with a recently expired or expiring post-graduation work permit (PGWP) will qualify for an additional or extended work permit to stay in Canada and gain job experience for up to 18 months, Immigration Minister Sean Fraser announced on Friday. Currently, there are about 127,000 post-graduation work permits set to expire in 2023.

International graduates with a recently expired or expiring post-graduation work permit (PGWP) will qualify for an additional or extended work permit to stay longer and gain additional work experience for up to 18 months.

Learn More

Request Info