Our commencement ceremonies are held every June and allow us to commemorate the accomplishments of our students and congratulate them on completing their degrees. Several City University of Seattle sites worldwide hold Commencement ceremonies and CityU students studying outside the U.S. may choose to attend the U.S. ceremony, held in Seattle.
Check the “all the things about graduation link” for more information
Learn more about Commencement
47th Commencement Ceremony – 2022
Typically graduation is a special ceremony at university during which degrees and diplomas are given to students who have successfully completed their studies. CityU Annual Commencement usually taking place in mid-June is a recognition ceremony with full regalia with the opportunity to take official pictures. Students do not receive their actual degrees or diplomas during the Commencement Ceremony.
The 2022 Commencement Ceremony will be held at T-Mobile Park in Seattle (WA, USA) on Saturday, June 25, 2022. The ceremony will start at 1:00 pm. Doors to the venue will open at 11:00 am.
The ceremony includes remarks from the president and a student speaker. Following the remarks, the students will walk across the stage as their names and degrees are announced. On stage, the students will receive a diploma cover, have their pictures taken with the President, then leave the stage to return to their original seats. Once all students have received on-stage recognition, some concluding remarks are given. The entire ceremony lasts a little more than two hours.
Click here to see our 2021 Commencement student speaker.
Here are some useful information that can guide you as you prepare for your CityU graduation
Applying for Graduation
All students must apply for graduation in order to obtain a credential for their chosen program,. Students are encouraged to apply for graduation six to 9 months prior to the expected completion of their academic program requirements. Graduation application forms also called Degree Audit Application are available through the Student Center in the Portal online. Click here to learn more about the steps Once you have applied online or sent in the paper application to the Registrar, your academic record will be audited to determine eligibility to graduate and thus, eligibility to participate in Commencement. A fee will be charged for the audit (currently $100, please check the fee structure to confirm the amount).
- To participate in Commencement you must first apply to graduate by the prescribed deadline of February 15.
- Deadline to apply:
Students should apply for graduation two quarters before their final term. It is highly recommended that you apply no later than February 15, to ensure your name is in the Commencement Program. Students who wait to apply until after that date will not have their name in the Commencement Program, but will still able to attend the ceremony if eligible.
- Results of degree audit:
As mentioned above, once you have applied to graduate, the Registrar’s Office audits your academic record. The results of the degree audit, along with an updated program plan, are then emailed to you. In addition to any impediments to program completion, the degree audit states clearly whether you are eligible to participate in Commencement.
- Student information change: Please complete a Change of Name Request Form if your name changes after you have submitted your Degree Audit Application. Send the form along with the appropriate name change supporting credentials to your Academic Advisor.
Address changes can be completed through your CityU Student Portal or through your Academic Advisor by e-mail. Also, notify Graduation@cityu.edu of the change to ensure the proper delivery of your degree certificate.
Attendance and Regalia Order
- Advice to avoid customs/duty fees for cap and gown: Canadian students will be responsible for customs/duty fees. To avoid customs/duty fees you can have your cap and gown shipped to Seattle for pick-up at the Graduation Help Desk on the day of the ceremony. All orders of this nature must be made in the student’s name. Notify email@example.com that your cap and gown have been shipped for pick-up, and provide your name, contact number, and a copy of the shipping order confirmation number. Use the following address for shipping: Use the following address for shipping: 521 Wall Street, Seattle, WA 98121 Attn: Cap and Hood.
- Hood Degree Colors:
|White||Master of Counselling|
|Light Blue||Master of Education (all)|
Eligible for Commencement
You may be eligible if you are a student…
Who will complete your degree during the current academic year (July 1 – June 30). Undergraduate students are eligible who have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, with graduate and doctoral students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Who has graduated earlier than July 1 and did not attend a previous CityU Commencement.
Who has no more than two courses left, or plans to complete all remaining program requirements during the Summer 2022/23 term.
Who has completed the academic requirements for a degree but has outstanding financial obligations may participate in Commencement. However, no diploma or transcript will be issued until your financial account has been cleared.
Note: while you may be eligible, the Registrar must complete an audit and declare your eligibility. If you have questions, email the Registrar’s Office.
Not Eligible for Commencement
Students completing only a certificate program, and not a degree-granting program, are not eligible to participate in Commencement.
**Students in unusual circumstances who are not eligible to participate may explain their situation to the Registrar and request an exception.
Cap and Gown
Order your cap and gown online at college.jostens.com or through the consumer call center at 1.800.854.7464 (starting mid January, 2022).
- The deadline for cap and gown orders is May 1, 2022. All orders placed after this date will incur an additional rush shipping charge.
- All cap and gown orders will ship directly to you, at the address that you provide, upon placing your order. Orders usually ship within four weeks.
- Any students ordering after the May 1, 2022 deadline may call the Customer Service number, 800-854-7464 from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Central Time. We cannot guarantee delivery after the deadline due to lead times.
- A limited number of items may be purchased on the day of the ceremony at the CityU Regalia Desk. However all items are first-come, first-served.
Please go to college.jostens.com for pricing for the following items:
- Associates cap, gown, tassel, and zipper pull
- Bachelors cap, gown, tassel, and zipper pull
- Masters cap, gown, tassel, zipper pull, and hood
- Doctorate tam, gown, tassel, zipper pull, and hood
Hood Degree Colors:
- MA in Counseling/Master of Counselling: White
- MA in Management: Drab
- MA in Leadership: Drab
- MBA: Drab
- M.Ed.: Light Blue
- M.Ed. (School Counselling): Light Blue
- MIT: Light Blue
- Master of Professional Accounting: Drab
- MS in Healthcare Administration: Peacock
- MS in Computer Systems: Gold
- MS in Management and Leadership: Drab
- MS in Project Management: Gold
- MS in Information Security: Gold
- MS in Technology Management: Gold
- Doctor of Education in Leadership: Light Blue
- Doctor of Business Administration: Drab
- Doctor of Information Technology: Gold
Students graduating with two degrees will need to purchase a second Master Hood.
Canadian students will be responsible for customs/duty fees. To avoid customs/duty fees you can have your cap and gown shipped to Seattle for pick-up at the Graduation Help Desk on the day of the ceremony. All orders of this nature must be made in the student’s name. Notify firstname.lastname@example.org that your cap and gown has been shipped for pick-up, and provide your name, contact number, and a copy of the shipping order
Use the following address for shipping:
521 Wall Street, Seattle, WA 98121
Attn: Cap and Hood
The ‘Completion’ in your degree means that you have completed the academic requirements for your award. This could be useful if you are applying for further study, or need proof that you have met the academic requirements of your degree while you are awaiting for your conferral.
CityU typically issues the Degree Certificate of Completion (also known as diploma) in the mail soon after the degree is officially posted on your transcripts. You should receive your degree certificate in the mail six to ten weeks later.
“Conferred” in CityU’ s context means officially awarded and the date of your graduation is posted on your transcripts.
When CityU has verified to academic credentials and admitted you into your award as a legal graduate of the University, your degree is conferred. For your degree to be conferred you must have finished all academic and practical requirements and have no outstanding debts to the University. You become an official legal graduate of the University from the moment your degree has been conferred and can use titles associated with that award. You can order your official transcripts for professional registration or for any other purpose if needed at this point.
Degree Audit Application
|Step 1.||Follow the link to view the step by step process: Applying for Degree Audit|
|Step 2.||Apply online through the Student Center page on the CityU portal|
|Step 3.||Pay the associated $100 fee. (You must complete the payment before receiving the results of initial Degree Audit.)|
|Step 4.||Registrar’s Office will review your academic records to determine your current standing and your eligibility to participate in the annual Commencement (typically students must have completed all but one or two courses of their degree program by June.)|
|Step 5.||You will receive electronic reports from the Registrar’s Office: Updated Program Plan and Degree Audit Results. Review and make sure they match your academic standing|
Definition and Awarding of Graduation Honors
Honors awards are given by merit and by degree level at City University of Seattle. There are two types of awards given, which are: President’s honors and Latin honors.
The President’s honors is only given to eligible master’s degree candidates, and the Latin honors is only given to eligible bachelor’s degree candidates. There are no honor awards given to students graduating at the doctoral, certificate, or associate degree level.
President’s honors are awarded if the student has graduated with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.90 or higher at the master’s level. This honors is noted on the student’s final transcript under the graduation date and is noted on their diploma, with an “honors” label.
Latin honors are awarded to students graduating with a cumulative GPA in the top of the class in their school or division at the bachelor’s level. Latin honors are designated summa cum laude (with highest honor – top 3.900 or above), magna cum laude (with great honor – 3.800 or above) and cum laude (with honor – 3.700 or above). Latin honors are noted on the student’s final transcript under the graduation date and on the student’s diploma with a special label showing the specific honor.
Honors cords will be distributed to the students who have earned them during the check in at Commencement. If you are awarded either of these honors and choose to walk in CityU’s Commencement, you may elect to wear your honor cord to the ceremony where your specific honors award will be announced alongside your degree earned.
Diploma covers are presented to all graduates during Commencement. The diploma is ordered when the degree is posted and mailed during the term following the conferral date, after all financial accounts are clear.
Students who have completed the academic requirements for a degree but have outstanding financial obligations will not be prevented from participating in Commencement; however, no diploma or transcript will be issued to such students until their financial account has been cleared.
Students who do not wish to attend the ceremony should still submit their applications and the $100 fee two quarters prior to completion of their degree program. The degree and diploma fee is strictly an administrative fee and does not cover the cost of Commencement.
Diploma Frames for Canadian Graduates
Have you received your diploma already?
Professional photography by GradImages will be available. Information on GradImages can be found on their website or by calling 800-261-2576
Schedule and Instructions
*Subject to change
School of Health and Human Services
- Associate of Science in General Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
- Bachelor of Science in General Studies
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Master of Counselling
School of Education and Leadership
- Bachelor of Arts in Education
- Master of Education (all Canadian, Adult Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Special Education, Reading and Literacy)
- Master in Teaching
- Doctor of Education in Leadership
School of Business and Management
- Associate of Science in Business
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- Master of Arts in Leadership
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Management and Leadership
- Master of Science in Project Management
- Doctor of Business Administration
School of Technology and Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Information Security
- Doctor if Information Technology
Caps and Tassels
Caps are worn during the ceremony and can be ordered through Jostens. Tassels are worn on the right side of the cap until your degree is conferred then moved to the left side.
Scholastic Achievement Honoured
CityU commends and recognizes outstanding scholastic achievement as outlined in the university catalog.
Connect with us on Social Media at Commencement
Use #CityUGrad to share your commencement experience!
Need to order transcripts?