Skip navigation menu
Return to start of navigation menu

Designated learning institution transfer

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

  • enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) – CityU is a DLI, and
  • actively studying while you’re in Canada

You need to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada  if you:

If you change schools and don’t tell Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If you aren’t registered to study, you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit. You may be asked to leave the country, and this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future. For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.

Follow these steps to change your school, click here for details:

  • Sign in to your account.
  • Click Transfer from the DLI number under the section Designated Learning Institution Student Transfer.
  • Enter your study permit application number and click Search for my application.
  • Enter more details about your original study permit application, if required. This information will help us identify your application.
  • Enter your new DLI number, your new Student ID number, and your start date at your new school. Click Submit transfer.
  • Review the details of your transfer. If all the information is correct, click Confirm Transfer.

Review this document to see the detailed procedure.

For additional information please consult:

Apply Request Info