In addition to the general CityU application, the Master of Counselling in Alberta requires the following supplemental application materials to review your candidacy.
- Prerequisites: We accept 300 and 400 series courses specializing in Learning, Development, and either Personality Theory or Counselling theory. We do not accept 200 series general psychology courses that offer simply a module or chapter in the above areas.. This is because, the College of Alberta Psychologists typically refuses to accept any 200 series courses which could result in up to a one year delay in graduates’ abilities to register with CAP and seek employment in the profession. You may request a review of your prior course work that you believe meet these qualifications before you officially apply to the Master of Counselling program by completing this form. Please include the official course descriptions typically found in your university’s website or catalogue. If you have any further questions, contact our advisor at ABAdmissions@CityU.edu
- Self Assessment Essay: The writing sample is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your writing skill and to briefly describe your professional goals and personal values. Reflection on these topics also begins the process of self-exploration that will continue throughout the program. Please download the guidelines for this 4-6 page essay.
- Background Questionnaire: Due to the nature of the Master of Counselling program, we need to collect some background information.
- References: City University requires three professional references for the Master of Counselling program.
- Proof of English Proficiency: If your undergraduate degree was earned outside the recognized universities: Canada, USA, UK, NZ, Australia, Ireland, please submit proof of English proficiency.