All international students are required to present proof that they have medical insurance in effect at the time of enrollment. If you have insurance, please submit this form.
International students must present proof of active medical insurance before registering for classes. International students are eligible for provincially subsidized public health insurance in Canada.
About BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)
In B.C., this insurance is called the Medical Services Plan or MSP. It typically covers the cost of medically necessary insured doctor services. International students are required to pay premiums as part of their health-care coverage. Apply for MSP Online soon after you arrive.*
* Coverage begins after three months. International students are advised to apply upon arrival.
Effective September 1, 2019, a health fee will be implemented for international students.
The health fee will apply to international post-secondary students at the rate of:
- CAD $37.50 per month, per student, from September 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019; and
- CAD $75.00 per month, per student, effective January 1, 2020, coinciding with the elimination of MSP premiums.
Please visit the Government of BC website for additional information.
Global Campus Health Plan for International Students
International students can alternatively select to be covered by reputable insurance companies such as the Global Campus Health Plan for International Students prior to qualifying for the provincial coverage (first three months). Their Health Plan offered through David Cummings Insurance Services (DCIS) at a low cost is designed to cover students either during the waiting period for provincial or territorial coverage in Canada or for the entire duration of their study term.
Please read their Enrollment page to learn more about their policies.
- Their current premium (DCIS “Comprehensive Plan” – administered by Allianz Global Assistance) is as follows:
- $1.60 per day, per international student studying in Canada (min. 30 days)
- $2.20* per day, per eligible dependent family member (spouse or child) accompanying the international student in Canada
- DCIS Contact:
- Application form (PDF 1 attached)
- DCIs “Comprehensive Plan” benefits (PDF 2 attached)